Sunday, January 26, 2014

Jo Knows Best...

Sometimes I randomly drop Jo's name into a conversation and wait for someone to say "Who's Jo?"
Once someone asks, I shout as loud as I can "JO MAMA!"  Then I congratulate myself on getting someone to fall for that old but epic 90's joke that rocked the decade! 

But I digress, this entry is not about Jo Mama, it's about a real Jo and since she works with children in crisis, she probably really does know best.  I'm probably just getting ahead of myself.  Let me take you back a week or two.

"I think I'm just going to throw his binky outside in the yard.  Every time it  falls out of his mouth he wakes up and cries for it!" Kim shrieks with exasperation.
"But he loves it so much," I say.
"I think I'm going to take it away at 7 months," Kim yells for no apparent reason.  (other than that she gets frustrated when a baby is crying when she's trying to have a dialogue.)
"Isn't that a little early?  I heard binkies were better for baby's teeth than say thumbs."
 "I don't know.  My baby is not going to be a binky junkie!  I'm getting rid of it!"

As you can tell we don't quite agree on the binky situation but how can one really argue with a redhead?  I figure we'll wait and see how things go.  I don't think she'll be able to handle the all night crying if there's no binky to soothe the little howler monkey.  I decided the only way to resolve this one was to go to Jo.  She knows best!  (based on motherly and also work experience in the field of
children in crisis.) 

I really would have dragged Kim to her office but there was no need since she sits right behind us in church.

"Hey Jo!  Here's a cute baby to snuggle!" I say throwing Rory into her arms.  She catches him and is instantly enthralled.  I figure the odds are more in my favor if I can distract her with complete cuteness.  (It's no secret that the ladies that sit behind us completely are in love with Rory and the 150 faces he makes.)
 "Oh!" Jo says, 'ooing' and 'ahhing' over the tiny tyke.  "I do declare, he's just the happiest baby I ever have seen."
 "Why thank you," Kim says, proud as a peacock. 
"Okay, let's cut the pretense and get down to business," I say,  "What's the word on the street about binkies?"
 "Well, there are studies that babies that get paci's taken away before they are developmentally ready to be done with them, will suck their thumbs..." Jo begins.
  "And you can't take away a thumb," Regina, her assistant chimes in.
"...and those children who suck their thumbs have a much higher chance to become smokers when they're older.  I really don't think it's the best idea to take away a paci before the child is ready."
"They'll quit it on their own," Regina adds.
"So it looks like I won't be taking away his binky yet." Kim whines.
Jo twitches her nose, "I wouldn't."

I mean, there you have it ladies and gents.  I win this argument and I didn't even have to fight.  It's all about lining up the right people with the right skills to fight my wife for me.  I may or may not be a genius. 


                                     

Comic By Bitstrips

No comments:

Post a Comment