Friday, July 12, 2013

30 Days... The countdown begins

  The I'm Expecting App on my smartphone told me that there are exactly 30 days left until my wife's due date.  (And also Rory is the size of a honey dew.)  This is so crazy!  Don't get me wrong, I'm not daft or dumb.  I realize that my wife is pregnant.  I've watched her belly expand and felt my little superstar kicking.  We've listened to his heartbeat on our fetal heart monitor, but somehow despite all of that, it's just so surreal.  I will be rubbing stretch mark lotion on her belly and feel his little form beneath her skin and I'm in complete awe that he's there.  Is little Rory really going to be joining us soon?  Did we really create this life?  Did God really bless us with this miracle? 

  I can still remember the moment we found out.  My wife, being my wife decided that a couple weeks after our Mini-Moon she'd buy a pregnancy test, just in case.  She had bronchitis at the time and was worried that if she was pregnant, the steroids wouldn't be good for the baby. We have differing opinions on how the moment went down, but I know in my heart that mine is right.

My Vantage Point:

"Should I take it, Josh?" she asks.
"Umm, if you want," I say staring at the alarm clock.  It reads 7:30 a.m.
 "My period is not for a couple more days... maybe I should wait."
"Okay."
"But... maybe I should do it now.  I can take two.  I can take one now and then another one in a few days."
 "Just take it... what's it going to hurt.  Just don't be disappointed if you aren't.  We have plenty of time to try some more."
 She gets out of bed and opens the pregnancy test nervously and disappears into the bathroom.
Minutes later...
"Do you want to know? she shouts.
"I'm guessing yes, by the tone of your voice."
 "The pink plus sign came up very fast!  How could it know that fast?"
"I don't know, but yay!"
 "I'm going to take another one."
 "Let's wait till tomorrow... and yay!"
  Kim feels her belly and smiles, then her face quickly distorts and she is running for the toilet, explosive vomit spewing from her mouth into the bowl.


My Wife's Vantage Point:

"Should I take it, Josh?" I ask.
"Yes!  I know you're pregnant already though," Josh says.
 "My period is not for a couple more days... maybe I should wait."
 "No way!  Do it now!  I'm dying to know!!!"
"Okay.  I can take two if I need to.  I can take one now and then another one in a few days."
 "Exactly!  Come on!  God is totally blessing us, so I already know you are knocked up."
 I get out of bed and open the pregnancy test with confidence and disappear into the bathroom.
Minutes later...
"Do you want to know? I shout gleefully.
"I'm guessing yes!" Josh shouts.
 "The pink plus sign came up very fast!  How could it know that fast?"
"I knew it!"
 "I'm going to take another one."
 "Why?  We already knew the whole time!"
  I smile and feel my belly, then decide I'm starving for some pancakes. 
 "Let's celebrate with breakfast."
 

 I guess it's up to you to decide which vantage point you want to agree with, but the end game is the same.  Rory is coming in 30 days or less.  If you're interested in setting up a baby betting pool, just let me know.   It seems like we've done so much in preparation for his homecoming, but we still need to pack a hospital bag for Kim, and finish up our classrooms at school.  I know a lot of things will change, but I'm so excited for this upcoming season in life.  I know Kim is too.  We are hoping and wishing and saying and praying that we have what it takes to be amazing parents, and we know that with God in the center of our family, it's going to be amazing.  Maybe not always easy, or fun, but totally amazing!

Comic by Bitstrips

No comments:

Post a Comment